"Get the fundamentals down and the level of everything you do will rise"
- Michael Jordan
You've seen calligraphy everywhere on Instagram, Youtube, Pinterest and now you're ready to learn. But the thing is, like any skill, calligraphy is not something you can pick up through random videos and tips here and there. It requires both study and thoughtful practice to develop muscle memory in order to see your script improve over time.
Copperplate Foundations is designed to be your 1-stop course packed with instruction, extensive handouts, exemplars, tips/techniques, and suggested homework so you can stop wasting time/money, walk away with a solid foundation and start creating more!
“You are the most patient instructor. When you wrote something "incorrectly," you pointed it out, rewrote it, and continued. From that, I have learned to be gentle with myself in critiquing my work. As you spoke to us, your students, I felt like you were speaking only to me. Your soft, well-modulated voice was soothing. You have a sweet spirit, and it comes through in your tone and encouraging words - your pep talks. I never felt intimidated, only inspired. Thank you for sharing what you've learned. I am so happy that I invested in learning from you. I will re-work this course many times in the future; after all, mastering the basics is essential. I want to let everyone know that you are sweet, focused, and thorough as an instructor and inspirational as an artist"
What Exactly is in the Course?
The course is made up of 6 teaching modules, with individual lessons within each module. The structure is set up so that you can easily move along the lessons and pick up where you left off. Including all the bonus videos, there are over 35 video lessons provided for you!
Ling Lin - @ling.lettering
"After the local course I realized, 'yes I can write something, but my writing is not consistent.'...Younghae's class explained how to write each stroke and how each alphabet is formed by strokes. This helped me a lot in terms of consistency. I can soon see a improvement after the first few homeworks. Younghae's style is different from the other calligrapher that I followed. I love her simple, but elegant style. So when I know that there's class opening, it's a MUST to sign up. Not to mentioned that the price is reasonable and there's lifetime access.
The course is just super good! And I really love the lifetime access part. As most of us are not doing this full time, lifetime access gives us the change to manage our own time and really provides the flexibility"
Frequently Asked Questions
When does the course start and end?
How long do I have access to the course?
Will there be handouts included?
Will you provide individual feedback?
Is this a beginner friendly course?
What Copperplate Foundations alumni are saying...
“Doing your warm up has definitely made improvement. I never realized how deadly I grip my pen (pencil in this case). It was really relaxing as well. Thank you! ☺️” - Reena
“Younghae, Your systematic instruction and what to watch for as you form these letters has been extremely helpful as I practice. I hear your voice-"pick up your pen "as well as other exhortations as I practice. Thank you for that level of detail in the beginning of our journey. Looking forward to practicing this week. I am so encouraged.” - Regina
“I am very happy that I took this course because the way you broke them down into basic strokes was what allowed me to understand them. I am serious when I look at the uppercase exercises that I wrote. I cannot believe that my hand produced that. Of course it's just the beginning and I can see huge room for improvement, but at least now I feel like I grasped them! I am sooooooooo satisfied, really!” - Stefania
Supplies Needed for the Course
The following is a recommended list of materials you will need for the course:
- A Pencil & Eraser - Any brand is fine!
- Pen Holder - I personally write with an oblique, but if you prefer the straight, that's fine! A good starter holder is the Dual Workshop Holder ($6.49) or the Moblique holder
- Paper to print guidesheets on. HP Premium32 is a good one, but if that's not available in your country, use any smooth paper that takes ink well without bleeding! You can also use Borden & Riley #37 Marker Layout Paper or Canson Pro Layout Marker Pad on top of your guidesheet
- Ink - My favorite is the Moon Palace Sumi Ink. You can also use walnut ink or other sumi ink for your practice.
- Pointed, flexible nib - Use whatever nib you are most comfortable with. I personally enjoy writing with a Hunt 22, Nikko G, Leonardt Principal EF
- Computer/Laptop with Wifi - The course videos can only be accessible through a browser and internet access. Course registration is for ONE person only. Downloading/sharing/recording the videos is strictly prohibited
- Printer - I will be providing scans, worksheets, homework exercises that you can print out at home. You may want to put them in protective sheets in a binder for your self study!
Registration is currently closed until Winter 2020. Please join the waitlist below to receive important updates regarding this course. Thank you!